Three quick ideas for spring cleaning—for your writing.
Experiment with point of view.
1) change up a first person story to a third person
2) write a story from a minor character’s point view
3) look at a picture sideways (see above) and describe what you see.
1) “You go through vampires, you go through dystopian, you go through contemporary, you go through fantasy,” Ms. Strauss-Gabel said. “The last thing you want is an author saying, ‘That’s what’s selling right now, so that’s what I’m going to write.’ That’s the point at which a trend gets icky.”
2) “We’re in an era where the definition of a young adult book is completely up for grabs, and people are willing to reinvent it,” she said. “There’s no one saying, ‘You can’t do this in a book for children.’ ”
Last, singular thought: if you haven't read BEFORE MY EYES, my new young adult novel, it's out now as a trade paperback!